Sunday, April 19, 2009

Welcome

Should someone be punished for helping out an illegal immigrant? 

This movie hits me even more closer to home now that I've personally experienced the nightmare that is "documentation." Right now, I'm insanely lucky - I'm a student, I have financial aid, France lets me in, no problem (except for all the backwards flips through hoops I had to do first). But at the end of September, my (legal) time is up, and I'm not sure what I'll be able to do to get back in for an extended period of time. I could marry a Frenchie. Except for Sarko is putting the smack-down on all that - immigration and gay marriage - double-whammy!

In France, you always have to have your vos papiers (your "papers," ie: legal documentation) on you. The police, in groups of three, always walk together, all in a row, when they're patrolling. I see them stop people in the streets and ask to see their "papers." Quite obvious racial profiling. I've never been asked. I wonder if I ever will be. I hope they'll accept my photocopies because I'm too afraid to carry around my real carte de séjour since I know my dumb ass is certain to lose it.

Anyway, it's a really good film, you should check it out. Allez le voir!


No comments: